Photo: Kent Police RPU

Kent residents grumble over ineffective Operation Brock “quiet zone”

You can read this article in 3 minutes

Last week, National Highways revealed that it would introduce a ‘quiet zone’ on the A20 near Aycliffe in Kent “in a bid to reduce noise pollution when the A20 TAP is holding cross channel freight heading to the Port of Dover”. A week on, the Kent residents the measure was meant to appease are still complaining.

In a series of vox-pops with persons living in the coastal region, local newspaper Kent Online found no shortage of dissatisfaction with the ineffectiveness of the quiet zone.

One of those quoted by the newspaper was a resident of Old Folkestone Road, who expressed concern that fines would go unpaid:

“But with the quiet zone how do they know which lorries are sounding their horns? Also how do they implement the fines unless they are on the spot? Otherwise foreign lorry drivers can go straight back to their own countries without paying.”

Another person living on the same street added:

“I could hear the horns at 6am on Saturday morning. The drivers are next to a built-up area but I know they are frustrated.”

Meanwhile, an individual from Aycliffe interviewed by the local paper was equally unimpressed:

“I’d heard about the quiet zone and I thought, well, that didn’t work. I sleep at the back of the house so I can hear it clearly. It’s so annoying.”

Amid the apparent frustration from Kent residents, a spokesperson from National Highways told Kent Online:

“As a part of the trial, we’re encouraging feedback from locals as to the success of the quiet zone. This will help us in evaluating the success of the trial. It is set to run the course of this summer deployment of Operation Brock.”

Commenting on the introduction of the new measure last week, Nicky Potts, National Highways Head of Operational Integration, said:

“We understand that when there is disruption at the port, residents of Aycliffe can often be disturbed by lorry drivers who are queuing in TAP along the A20. In particular, when they use horns during the night which can keep people awake. Whilst we look at broader solutions, we have agreed we will implement a ‘quiet zone’ along the A20 leading up to the Port which will run throughout the summer deployment of Operation Brock.”

The £60 fines for violating the new quiet zone rules come on top of the £300 fines for trying to avoid Operation Brock itself. Any EU-bound HGVs not complying with signage and trying to use another route to Eurotunnel or the Port of Dover risk a fine of £300.

Moreover, they will also be sent to the back of the queue by police or enforcement agents, which National Highways stresses will waste time, fuel, and money. This, adds National Highways, includes trying to bypass the M20 by using the M2/A2 at Brenley Corner.

Also read