33 transport business groups and associations from across Europe have called on EU and UK negotiators to strike a free trade deal for the sake of the industry.
The International Road Transport Union, together with its 32 of its members, stress that more than 2.3 million trucks travel to and from the UK and EU every year. Therefore in order to provide a smooth supply chain, they will need to have easy access to and from the UK.
In an open letter to negotiators Michel Barnier and David Frost, the 33 signatories called on both parties to reach a deal protecting the ongoing movement of heavy goods vehicles between the EU and UK, as well as transit through their respective territories without the introduction of haulage permits and quota systems.
Just days after the letter was published, the Confederation of British Industry then published survey results indicating that over three-quarters of UK businesses would prefer a trade agreement.
⚠️ “A EU-UK deal is still possible and remains indispensable.” IRU and 32 of its member organisations 🚛 from across Europe call on 🇪🇺 and 🇬🇧 negotiators to reach a deal. Read our open letter ⬇️ https://t.co/xS3gmbc2El
— IRU (@the_IRU) September 25, 2020
Commercial road transport has heavily suffered during the COVID-19 pandemic, with the 2020 revenue loss for European goods transport operators estimated at EUR 64 billion. Additional costs incurred due to the absence of a UK-EU agreement at the end of the year would be another blow for businesses and should be avoided by any means,” said Raluca Marian, IRU General Delegate to the EU.
The IRU believe the lack of a free trade agreement would see European and UK operators face a patchwork of fragmented national arrangements, with higher costs, slower journey times and potential shortages for consumers.
The European and UK road haulage industry is calling on negotiators to come to an agreement. Transparency is needed regarding the new operational environment in order to allow the industry sufficient time to prepare for new circumstances,” concluded Raluca Marian.
“Time is of the essence” – the letter claims.
The signatories of the open letter are as follows:
- AEBTRI, Association of Bulgarian Enterprises for International Transport and Roads, Bulgaria
- AFTRI, French Association of Road Haulage & Passenger Transport, France
- AISÖ, Working Group of International Road Transport Companies, Austria
- AMÖ, Federal Association of Furniture Freight Forwarders and Logistics, Germany
- ANTRAM, National Association of Public Goods Road Transport, Portugal
- ASTIC, International Road Transport Association, Spain
- BGL, Federal Association of Freight Transport, Logistics and Disposal, Germany
- CESMAD BOHEMIA, Association of Road Enterprises & Passenger Transport, Czech Republic
- CESMAD SLOVAKIA, Association of Road Enterprises & Passenger Transport, Slovakia
- CETM, Spanish Confederation of Goods Transport, Spain
- CLC, Luxembourg Confederation of Commerce, Luxembourg
- DTL, Danish Transport and Logistics Association, Denmark
- ECG, The Association of European Vehicle Logistics, Belgium
- ERAA, Association of Estonian International Road Carriers, Estonia
- EVOFENEDEX, Netherlands
- FEBETRA, Belgian Royal Federation of Transporters and Logistics Service Providers, Belgium
- FIAP, Italian federation of professional hauliers, Italy
- FinMobility, representing Finnish employers’ and business organisations in the mobility sector, Finland
- FNTR, National Association of Road Transport, France
- ITD, Association of Danish road transport of goods, Denmark
- IRHA, Irish Road Haulage Association, Ireland
- IRU, World Road Transport Organisation, Switzerland
- LINAVA, The Lithuanian National Road Carriers’ Association, Lithuania
- Logistics UK, United Kingdom
- MKFE, Hungarian Road Transport Association, Hungary
- NLF, Norwegian Road Transport Association, Norway
- OFAE, Hellenic Federation of Road Transports, Greece
- RHA, Road Haulage Association, UK
- SVERIGES AKERIFÖRETAG, Swedish Association of Road Transport Companies, Sweden
- TLN, Transport and Logistics, Netherlands
- UICCIAA, Italian Union of Chambers of Commerce, Italy
- UNTRR, National Union of Road Transporters, Romania
- ZMPD, Association of Int
Photo credit @Wikimedia Commons