How to get an ECMT permit

You can read this article in 5 minutes

How to get an ECMT permit

British hauliers can apply for ECMT permits between the 2nd and 20th of November to be able to carry out EU-bound international transportation from 1st January 2021, the DVSA has warned operators.

This is the place to find out what the ECMT permit is and how to get one.

What is an ECMT permit?

An ECMT permit is a certificate that allows hauliers transporting most types of goods through the ECMT (European Conference of Ministers of Transport) countries. These are all EU countries except for the following states:
Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Liechtenstein, North Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Russia, Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and the UK.

Who can get an ECMT pemit?

There are 2 requirements to be eligible for a permit:

1.Hauliers must have a vehicle operator licence for Great Britain or a vehicle operator licence for Northern Ireland


2. They must have Euro VI or Euro V emission standard vehicles (depending on the type of permit you’re applying for)

Who doesn’t need one?

According to the IRU’s guide, the following categories of transport are exempt from transport permit requirements:

1) The transport of goods by motor vehicles whose Total Permissible Laden Weight (TPLW), including trailers, does not exceed 3.5 tonnes.

2) The transport of goods on an occasional basis, to or from airports, in cases where services are diverted.

3) The transport of vehicles, which are damaged or have broken down and the movement of breakdown repair vehicles.

4) Unladen runs by a goods vehicle sent to replace a vehicle which has broken down in another country, and also the return run, after repair, of the vehicle that had broken down.

5) Transport of livestock in vehicles purpose-built or permanently converted for the transport of livestock and recognised as such by the Member countries’ Authorities concerned.

6) Transport of spare parts and provisions for ocean-going ships and aircraft.

7) Transport of medical supplies and equipment needed for emergencies, more particularly in response to natural disasters and humanitarian needs.

8) Transport for non‑commercial purposes of works and objects of art for fairs and exhibitions.

9) Transport for non‑commercial purposes of properties, accessories and animals to or from theatrical, musical, film, sports or circus performances, fairs or fetes, and those intended for radio recordings, or for film or television production.

10) The transport of goods on own account.

11) Funeral transport

12) Postal transport carried out as a public service

13) Transfer of newly acquired vehicles without cargo to the place of their final destination

When can it not be used?

When you travel through a country which is not in the list or for cabotage operations.

How can you get the permit?

Hauliers need to buy the permit by writing an email to DVSA International Road Haulage Permits Office:

Hauliers must provide the following data:

  1. The operator licence number

NOTE! From 1 January 2021, the operator licensing requirements for journeys to, through or from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will change. The Community Licence will be phased out and replaced with a UK Licence for the Community. The new licence and certified copies will be issued automatically and must be carried when driving abroad.

Hauliers will still need a  standard international operator licence.

  1. the journey destination

(it must be either Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, North Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Russia, Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey or Ukraine)

  1. proof that the vehicle will be travelling to this country in 2021 (for example, a contract to import and export, or evidence of recent or regular to the country)
  2. how many permits needed
  3. which type of vehicle will be used (Euro V or Euro VI)
  4. the vehicle registration numbers (number plates)
  5. the vehicle and trailer types and makes

The following trailers must be registered to drive to or through most EU countries, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway: commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg.

Hauliers can register their trailer to take it abroad HERE.

  1. the vehicle identification numbers (VINs)
  2. the vehicle engine types and numbers

How much does it cost?

Each individual permit costs £20. Hauliers need to pay £10 immediately, and then another £10 to have the permit issued when their details have been checked.

What else?

  • A GB sticker on the vehicle and the trailer
  • A green card to prove the vehicle is insured
  • Hauliers also need to use the “check and HGV is ready to cross the border’ service to prove that an HGV has the right EU import and commodities documents for the goods it’s carrying before it crosses the GB / EU border.

Photo credit @ Pixabay

Trending articles
Trending articles