Amendments to the Customs Code have come into force in Ukraine, according to which carriers of goods are obliged to submit a General Carriage Declaration. This applies to all goods delivered on Ukrainian territory and also to transit traffic.
Since 7th November, the declaration must be submitted by carriers carrying out transport of goods across the Ukrainian border, or by Ukrainian customs brokers acting on behalf of these companies.
Previously, the provisions of the Customs Code allowed for prior notification of intention to import goods to be sent to the competent customs authority. In the case of cargo in transit, no prior notification was required. However, now the lack of a declaration will result in goods being refused entry into Ukraine.
The declaration must be submitted in digital form only. It has to be certified by an electronic signature via the user account or API at www.cabinet.customs.gov.ua. According to the association of road carriers Asmap, as foreign carriers do not have an electronic signature, they will not be able to submit declarations to the customs authorities on their own.
The declaration must be submitted to the competent customs authority in the area of the border crossing point through which the cargo will be transported first.
Time limits for submission of carriage declarations in Ukraine
- Road transport:
– no later than 1 hour before the arrival of cargo at the first border crossing point.
- Rail transport:
– transport lasting 2 hours or more – no later than 2 hours before arrival at the border crossing point,
– transport lasting less than 2 hours – no later than 1 hour before arrival at the border crossing point.
- Sea transport:
– no later than 4 hours before the arrival of cargo at the first border crossing point.
- Inland waterway transport:
– no later than 2 hours before arrival at the border crossing point.
- Air transport:
– transport lasting 4 hours or more – no later than 4 hours before arrival at the border crossing point,
– transport lasting less than 4 hours: no later than at the time of departure of the aircraft.
The declaration number will be automatically assigned to the user account. If the declaration has been submitted via API, information on the registration number of the declaration will be provided by the customs authority via a message from the company. Customs services shall check declarations within one hour from submission.
Declarations are not required for the transport of military equipment, letters and postcards, sports equipment for participants in official sports competitions, etc. transit by sea, inland waterways and air is also exempt from the obligation (if, during a stay in the customs territory of Ukraine, means of transport do not stop at ports or airports situated in that territory).
Photo credit @ Wikimedia Commons