Last Mile Brief 01/11/2023: Amazon closes more logistics facilities in the UK
You can read this article in 5 minutes
In today's Last Mile Brief, we've more news on Amazon shutting down facilities in the UK, plus continued woes for Evri, and a number of developments concerning electric vehicles.
Today’s headline story: Amazon closes more logistics facilities in the UK
During yesterday’s Last Mile Brief, we brought you the news that Amazon is shutting down three of its warehouses in the UK. Now it has emerged that the company will also close seven delivery stations.
According to Wales Online, the sites employ at most a few dozen workers, and Amazon has said that the staff will have the opportunity to transfer to other stations nearby.
An Amazon spokesperson is quoted as saying:
“Amazon will open new delivery stations in Havant and Aylesford. They will replace existing, older delivery stations in Portsmouth and Aylesford and employees at those sites will transfer to the new buildings. A further five delivery stations in Huntingdon, Horley, Newcastle, Birmingham and Hemel Hempstead will also close, with employees transferring to other stations in the local area.”
On Tuesday, Amazon announced the closure of warehouses in Hemel Hempstead, Doncaster, and Gourock. Again, all employees (thought to be around 1,200) are to be offered jobs at other Amazon sites.
On the flip side, Amazon has announced two new major fulfilment centres in the West Midlands and Northern Ireland. Together, the two sites are estimated to create as many as 2,500 jobs over the next three years.
Europe round up
- Amazon is also facing renewed pressure from UK lawmakers over warehouse conditions.
- Tevva has been given the go-ahead for mass production of its electric trucks.
- Ireland’s An Post is to raise the price of a domestic stamp by 10c.
- Evri has apologised for parcel delivery delays in the UK.
- Evri has also had hundreds of parcels stolen from its Stockport warehouse.
- Ocado has been crowned as one of the best firms to work for in the UK.
- Postal workers have called on the Slovenian Government and Pošta Slovenije to ensure proper financing and valuation of the the universal postal service.
- ShipStation has partnered with The Delivery Group for last-mile deliveries.
North America round up
- FedEx Ground has made further cuts to its Sunday home delivery coverage.
- Amazon is expanding its Prime Delivery Service to more web stores.
- More than 800 Amazon employees are calling on the company to step up its response to climate change through foreign aid.
- Walmart drone delivery has launched in the states of Florida, Texas, and Arizona.
- USPS is closing 50 post offices, with no immediate information on when they might reopen.
News from the rest of the world
- DHL Express is to trial Michelin UPTIS puncture-proof tires on Singapore roads in first-ever pilot.
- FedEx Express has deployed 30 TATA Ace EVs in Delhi.
- India’s Greaves Cotton has unveiled new electric cargo vehicles.
- SingPost has acquired an additional 37% total stake in Freight Management Holdings for A$175.4 mil.
- Amazon has revealed how it delivers to Japan’s most remote islands.
- Meal-kit firm HelloFresh has closed its Japanese operations.
Your Last Mile Brief is co-produced by: