British drivers will need extra documentation to drive in EU after Brexit. Today is the deadline to apply for ECTM permits

You can read this article in 2 minutes

From 28 March 2019, truck drivers from the UK will need extra documentation to drive in the European Union. In a similar way, the UK nationals living in the countries of the EU will have to get a new driving licence before Brexit.

Truck drivers will have to register certain trailers with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and carry a trailer registration certificate.

In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, British drivers may also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the EU.

Community licences and ECMT permits

Currently, UK lorry drivers carrying out international journeys must have a standard international operator’s licence along with a community licence for journeys to, from or through the EU.

Vehicles under 3.5 tonnes (including vans) and drivers operating on own account (carrying their own goods) do not need an international operator’s licence or Driver CPC.

From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, European Union countries may not recognise community licences issued in the United Kingdom.

However, transport managers may wish to apply for ECMT international haulage permits for 2019. ECMT permits will enable UK operators to drive in the EU if community licences issued in Great Britain are not recognised.

Limited numbers of annual and short term ECMT permits will be available. You can apply online for ECMT permits until 11:59 pm on 18 January 2019.

To apply for ECMT permits, you will first need to have a vehicle operator licence online account.

1.3 million people have to reapply for UK driving licence

British nationals living in one of the EU countries will have to reapply for the driving licence before Brexit.

The guidance published by the Department for Transport (DfT) yesterday reads  „If you are a UK licence holder living in the EU or EEA you should exchange your UK driving licence for a local EU driving licence before 29 March 2019.”