Have you seen this sign on British motorways? It is to warn international truck drivers about paperwork after Brexit.

You can read this article in 6 minutes

Have you seen this sign on British motorways? It is to warn international truck drivers about paperwork after Brexit.

“Freight to EU papers may change 1 Nov please check” – can be read on the British M4 motorway screens. Earlier in September, the British Department for Transport announced the launch of an £8m information campaign to ‘make sure hauliers have everything they need from traders to get through border customs smoothly after Brexit’.

As an outward-facing global trading nation, the efficiency of our ports is of paramount importance. This multi-million-pound initiative ensures that the UK will remain open for business, with goods continuing to move freely.” – Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said.

The money is being spent on billboard advertising, establishing pop-up information centres and distributing guidebooks for hauliers in the case of a no-deal Brexit, in a bid to reduce the risk of delays at ports after 31 October.

The government says it is the responsibility of traders to get the right paperwork for what the goods hauliers are carrying.

The Government’s website warns commercial drivers that UK hauliers “must have the correct licences and permits” to transport goods between the EU if the UK leaves without a deal.

It is essential that information is delivered in a clear and concise way. Traders, haulage operators in particular, simply don’t have time to digest and implement the small print. They need to know, right now, how to get through the next few months. It is imperative that the entire supply chain understands what will be required. This campaign will ensure hauliers get everything they need from traders to get through border customs smoothly, thereby reducing the risk of holdups at ports and ferry terminals. – Road Haulage Association chief executive Richard Burnett commented on the news.

1 minute delay= £50k loss

Researchers at Imperial College London estimate that only two additional minutes of waiting at the border can triple existing truck lines in ports, which could lead to 29 miles (about 47 km) long tailbacks on Kent motorways.

Delays lasting only half an hour in British ports and on the Irish border would bankrupt every tenth British company. If the trucks were to wait for crossing the border from 1 to 3 hours, as many as 14 percent of companies could expect bankruptcyDelays from 12 to 24 hours would prevent the further functioning of up to 15 percent of enterprises – according to a survey of the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS).
According to a recent study made by the British Association of Manufacturers and Traders from the automotive sector (Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders), the cost of delays in just-in-time delivery per minute can be as high as £50,000 in case of a no-deal Brexit. 
For the automotive sector, the impact of Brexit on the just-in-time delivery model may also be critical. SMMT has estimated that only one minute of production interruption due to delays in ports can cost 50,000 pounds (54.7 thousand euros). That gives 70 million pounds a day in a five-day workweek.

What paperwork needs to be prepared before Brexit?

According to the website of the British government, these are the most important papers, drivers and hauliers must provide:

Driver documents

  • international driving permit(s) (IDP) in some countries (France, Italy and Cyprus)
  • passport with at least 6 months left to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland)

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.

  • ECMT permit for some journeys

Note that 99% of journeys between the UK and the EU will continue as they are now, and will not need a permit, until at least 31 December 2019.

  • driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)
  • tachograph driver card

Vehicle documents

    • motor insurance green card(s)
    • GB Sticker on the vehicle and trailer
    • vehicle logbook

Customs and cargo documents

  • You will need to request separate documents from your exporter for the cargo you are carrying.
  • You will need additional documents if you are transporting:
    • high-risk goods
    • animal / plant / other controlled products
  • It is the responsibility of the exporter to provide these documents, but they will be needed to take goods across the border.
  • Check local customs processes for France, Holland, Spain and Belgium.

You can download The the border readiness leaflet in 10 languages HERE.

Fotó: West Midlands Police/ Flickr

Trending articles
Trending articles