In Russia, regulations on electronic navigation seals used in road and rail transport through the territory of the Federation have come into force. The new regulations concern the transport of sanctioned goods to third countries.
Russian transit regulations apply to both road and rail carriers. They concern the transport to third countries through the territory of the Russian Federation of goods originating in a country that has imposed economic sanctions against the Federation.
The provisions of the Decree of 27 December 2019, No. 1877 also cover certain goods of Ukrainian origin and products that are transported through or sent from the territory of Ukraine. These are paper and cardboard products, clothes, footwear, enamelled and steel dishes, pipes, wires, metal nets, ropes, starch, fructose and glucose, heaters, central heating boilers, syringes and pump parts.
Transit of goods through Russia only with electronic navigation seals
Obligations of the road carrier
According to the new regulations, the carrier, which transports the embargoed cargo through Russia, is obliged to inform the sealing operator (www.crcp.ru) no later than 2 hours before the truck arrives at the checkpoint.
The following information must be provided to the operator:
– name of the company,
– type of vehicle, trailer or semi-trailer carrying out the transport, country of registration and registration plate number,
– the e-mail address and telephone number of the truck driver,
– the commodity codes of the goods transported according to the trade nomenclature of the Eurasian Economic Union for foreign economic activities in a format of at least 10 characters,
– the country of origin of the goods transported,
– the country of loading of the goods transported,
– the country of unloading of the goods transported,
– planned date of entry into the territory of the Russian Federation,
– planned date of departure from the territory of the Russian Federation,
– checkpoints at the Russian border, where the vehicle is to cross the border of the Russian Federation (entry and exit of the truck),
– the number of electronic navigation seals required.
Note – the sealing operator is obliged to send to the carrier through the information system confirmation of acceptance of the notification within a maximum of one hour.
What happens then with the navigation seal?
The sealing operator accepts and processes the data sent to it by the carrier, whereas the final decision on the installation of the seal belongs to the customs officers. The customs officers shall take decisions after having checked the information contained in the international consignment note, the invoice, the certificate of origin of the goods and, if applicable, the transit declaration plus the veterinary and phytosanitary certificate. The decision on the installation of seals is taken by the Russians at the checkpoints within 30 minutes of providing the required documents to the officers.
An electronic navigation seal shall be affixed by the system operator’s representative in the presence of customs officers or the Federal Transportation Control Service. The time for applying one seal shall not exceed 5 minutes for heavy goods vehicles and 20 minutes for rolling stock units. The seal is removed by a representative of the system operator when leaving Russia at a location previously notified by the carrier.
Note – if necessary for cargo inspection, the customs administration may remove the seal and then reapply it using specialist mobile equipment provided by the system operator. In this way, the system records the information regarding an unplanned opening of the cargo space.
Map of the Russian border crossing points (link)
Photo: Sirius / YouTube @ strazh77