The long running industrial dispute involving Eddie Stobart drivers from the Unite Trade Union remains unresolved, with strike action still a very real possibility.
You may recall that the Unite Union had threatened strike action back in November of last year, citing a “series of broken promises and a proposed pay freeze by management”.
During a vote held on December 1st, almost all drivers voted in favour of going on strike. However, Unite initially decided to take the less radical measure of implementing a 3-week overtime ban on the 26th of December. They then extended the ban for another 3 weeks and announced a strike on February 17th.
However, the strike was called off at the last minute following “positive talks with the Stobart management” on Tuesday, says Unite.
Further talks over the long-standing row over driver pay will continue next week. However, depending on how negotiations progress, Unite states that strike action from 28 February to 2 March remains in place.
In his latest update on the saga, Unite’s Steve Gerrard said:
“Following constructive talks yesterday with the Stobart management, we have suspended the three days of strike action due to have started today to allow negotiations to take place next week. Unite will be entering the next round of talks on our members’ long-standing dispute over pay in a positive frame of mind. However, the strikes due to run from 28 February to 2 March remain in place and whether these go ahead are dependent on how the talks progress. Unite won’t be commenting further until the negotiations have concluded.”
In the event the drivers do go on strike, it is claimed that deliveries of Walker’s Crisps will be interrupted. Walker’s have nonetheless claimed that they have contigency plans in place to keep shelves stocked.