On 14 January this year, the Spanish official journal Boletín Oficial del Estado published a resolution of the General Directorate for Road Traffic (DGT), which introduces changes to the traffic restrictions for trucks on Spanish territory. These include, in particular, new bans on local holidays and a reduction in the number of hours during which certain restrictions apply.
According to the transport portal transporteprofesional.es, the most important changes are:
– Extension of the possibility to exit to national roads from which heavy goods traffic has been diverted to toll motorways (AP-68/N-232 in La Rioja, AP-7/N-340 in Castellón and A-7/N-340 in Castellón). Until now, it was possible to exit for the N-232 and N-340 to take a week’s and a day’s rest. According to the new resolution, they can now also be used for a 45-minute rest or for truck repairs or maintenance activities (e.g. refuelling).
However, DGT still does not allow drivers to return to the motorway using the nearest entry on the route. They have to return to the motorway using the same road they left it.
– The new restriction applies to N-631, from San Cebrián de Castro to Rionegro del Puente, in both directions, every Friday in July and August from 3:00 a.m. to midnight.
– Before the holiday of March 19 (San José) there will be restrictions on the A-8 from Castro Urdiales to Laredo in the direction of Santander, on March 15 from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., and on March 16 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. On March 19, on the A-3 from Utiel to Valencia there is a ban on trucks from 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
– During Holy Week, on Wednesday April 17, in addition to the annual restrictions in force, the AP-1 from Miranda de Ebro to Burgos and the A-1 (same route) is banned from 336 km to 329 km (Treviño-Álava), from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. (in both cases in the direction of Burgos).
– Due to the long May weekend, on May 5 in Madrid, in addition to the annual ban on entering the city centre, there is also a traffic restriction on the A-3 from Valencia to Requena, in the direction of the exit to Valencia, from 1:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
– On Sunday, 9 June, the restrictions on the roads A-15, A-1, N-121 and N-135 in the direction of France and the Basque Country, which were in force in 2018, will be lifted. Truck traffic will continue to be banned on the A-8 from Laredo to Castro Urdiales between 4:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. and on the N-630 between San Cebrian de Castro and Rionegro del Puente from 12:00 a.m. to midnight.
– Before the holiday in Navarra on October 20, there will be restricted traffic on the AP-15, in Tudela from km 6 to 13, on the A-68 and N-232 from Castejón to Tudela and on the NA-134 from Fontellas to Valtierra in both directions from 12.00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
– In connection with All Saints’ Day, on November 3, in addition to the existing bans, a new one was introduced – on the A-62 between Tordesillas and Valladolid, from 4:00 p.m. to midnight in the direction of Burgos.
A useful app
Spanish traffic bans are among the most complex in Europe which is why we recommend using a helpful application. Bans For Trucks will inform you about traffic bans and temporary restrictions on heavy goods vehicles. Bans For Trucks is the only application that also works offline, i.e. without the need for an Internet connection. It contains information about bans in 38 countries. Bans For Trucks is available in 15 languages.
When users are in the network range – the database of bans is automatically updated.