Traffic bans in France in 2020
You can read this article in 10 minutes
French traffic bans apply to trucks and vehicle combinations above 7.5 tonnes, except for some special vehicles and agricultural vehicles.
General traffic bans last from 22.00 on Saturdays and the eve of the holiday to 22.00 on Sunday or holiday:
– 11 April from 22.00 to 24.00,
– 12 April (Easter) from 0.00 to 24.00,
– April 13 (Easter) from 0.00 to 22.00,
– 1 May (Labor Day) from 0.00 to 22.00,
– 7 May from 22.00 to 24.00,
– 8 May (Victory Day) from 0.00 to 22.00,
– 20 May from 22.00 to 24.00,
– May 21 (Ascension) from 0.00 to 22.00,
– May 31 from 0.00 to 24.00,
– June 1 (Pentecost) from 0.00 to 24.00,
– 13 July from 22 to 24,
– 14 July (French National Day) from 0:00 to 22,
– 14 August from 22.00 to 24.00,
– 15 August (Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary) from 0.00 to 24.00,
– 31 October from 22.00 to 24.00,
– 1 November (All Saints’ Day) from 0.00 to 22.00,
– 10 November from 22.00 to 24.00,
– 11 November (Remembrance Day) from 0.00 to 22.00,
– 24 December from 22.00 to 24.00,
– 25 December (Christmas) from 0.00 to 22.00,
– 31 December from 22.00 to 24.00.
Summer and winter traffic bans
In addition to public holidays, there are additional restrictions on heavy goods vehicles above 7.5 tonnes in France – winter and summer bans.
Winter restrictions will apply on February 8, 15, 22, 29 and 7 March this year. from 7 to 18. They cover the following road sections (in both directions, unless otherwise stated):
– A40 from Pont d’Ain (intersection A40 / A42) to Passy-le-Fayet (intersection A40 / RD1205),
– RD1084 from Pont d’Ain (intersection RD1084 / RD1075) to Bellegarde,
– RD1206 from Bellegarde to Annemasse,
– RD1205 from Annemasse to Passy-le-Fayet,
– RN205 from Passy-le-Fayet to Chamonix.
Lyon – Chambery – Tarentaise – Maurienne
– A43 from intersection A46 south / A43 to intersection A43 / A432 towards Lyon-Chambery,
– A43 from the A43 / A432 intersection to Frejus Tunnel,
– A430 from Pont Royal (intersection A43 / A430) to Gilly-sur-Isere (intersection A430 / RN90),
– RD1090 from Pont-Royal to Gilly-sur-Isere (intersection A430 / RN90),
– RN90 from Gilly-sur-Isere (intersection A430 / RN90) to Bourg-Saint-Maurice,
– RD1090 from Bourg-Saint-Maurice to Seez,
– RD306 (Rhône) and RD1006 (Isère and Savoie) from Saint-Bonnet-de-Mure to Freney,
– RN201 transit from Chambery (VRU).
Lyon – Grenoble – Briançon
– A48 from Coiranne (intersection A48 / A43) to Saint Egrève (intersection A48 / A480),
– A480 from Saint Egrève (junction A48 / A480) to Pont-de-Claix (junction A480 / RN85),
– RN85 from Pont-de-Claix (intersection A480 / RN85) to Vizille (intersection RN85 / RD1091),
– RD1091 from Vizille (intersection RN85 / RD1091) to Briançon.
Bellegarde and Saint Julien-en-Genevois – Annecy – Albertville
– A41 north from Saint Julien-en-Genevois (intersection A40 / A41 north) to Cruseilles (intersection A410 / A41 north),
– RD1201 from Saint Julien-en-Genevois to Annecy,
– RD3508 Annecy bypass,
– RD1508 from Annecy to Ugine,
– RD1212 from Ugine to Albertville.
Annemasse – Sallanches – Albertville
– RD1205 from Annemasse to Sallanches,
– RD1212 from Sallanches to Albertville.
Chambery – Annecy – Scientrier
– A410 from Scientrier (intersection A410 / A40) to Cruseilles (intersection A410 / A41 north),
-A41 north from Cruseilles (intersection A410 / A41 north) to the intersection with A43 Chambery,
– RD1201 between Chambery and Annecy,
– RD1203 between Annecy and Bonneville.
Grenoble – Chambery
– A41 south between Grenoble and A43 (Francin) on Montmelian towards north,
– RD1090 between Montmelian (73) and Pontcharra (38).
Summer restrictions, on the other hand, cover the entire road network in France and will apply on July 25, 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29 August from 7 to 19.
Additional bans in Île-de-France
As in every year, additional truck traffic bans will apply in the Île-de-France region. They relate to specific roads in a specific direction and apply on the following dates:
Direction from Paris:
– Fridays from 16.00 to 21.00,
– on the eve of a public holiday from 16.00 to 24.00,
– Saturdays from 10.00 to 18.00 and 22.00 to 24.00,
– Sundays and holidays around the clock.
Direction to Paris:
– Saturdays and eve of public holidays from 22.00 to 24.00,
– Sundays and public holidays around the clock,
– Monday and day after a public holiday from 6.00 to 10.00.
The bans in Île-de-France include motorway sections:
– A6a, A6b from the Paris beltway to the intersection with the A6 and A10 motorways (municipality of Wissous),
– A106 from the junction with A6b to Orly airport,
– A6 from the intersection with A6a and A6b to the intersection with RN 104-Est / East (Lisses commune),
– A10 from the intersection with A6a and A6b to RN20 (commune of Champlan),
– A12 from the junction with the A13 motorway (Rocquencourt triangle) to RN10 (municipality of Montigny-le-Bretonneux),
– A13 from the Paris beltway to the Poissy-Orgeval junction (Orgeval commune).
Permanent traffic bans
In addition, for safety reasons, truck traffic is permanently banned on some roads in France.
– national road N59 between Lunéville and Sélestat – a ban on all vehicles in transit with GVW exceeding 3.5 tonnes,
– national road N66 – ban on vehicles over 3.5 tonnes between Remiremont and Cernay; ban on vehicles over 19 tons in the hour 6-22, with a loading or unloading point in Lorraine (Lorraine) or Alsace (Alsace).
– A22 motorway (12 km), national road N356 (5 km), national road N227 (3 – 4 km) – a ban on vehicles in transit over 3.5 tonnes leaving the A1 motorway and heading north.
– the A557 motorway – a ban on vehicles over 3.5 tonnes, from the Arenc exit to Les Ports, moving from A7 to A55,
– A55 motorway (4 km) – a ban on vehicles over 3.5 tonnes in Marseille, between the Vieux Port intersection and the Cap Pinède intersection,
– connection of the A50 (Toulon est / Toulon east) and A57 (Toulon ouest / Toulon west) motorways – Toulon tunnel – heavy goods vehicles over 19 tonnes traveling to Marseille are prohibited,
– the A8 motorway – a 24-hour ban on the road transport of ethylene oxide on the section between the toll point in Antibes and Italy. Lavera – Tavazzano sea route is recommended for this type of transport,
– national road N7 – traffic ban on vehicles over 6 tonnes on the transit route through the agglomeration of Orange, between the intersection with RD976 and the intersection with RD950; a ban on vehicles with GVW over 16 t on a transit route through the Mondragon agglomeration,
– national road N85 – no vehicles over 26 tons (not equipped with speed limiters) on the border of the departments of Isère and Hautes Alpes and the city of Gap,
– national road N580 – no vehicles over 25 tons in Avignon, on the bridges „Royaume” and „Daladier”,
– national road N94 – Col du Montgenèvre ban on vehicles over 26 tonnes;
– national road N94 – no vehicles over 26 tons (not equipped with speed limiters) between the southern roundabout Embruns and the border with Italy.
– the A7 and A6 motorways (25 km) between Ternay and Anse – vehicles with a GVW over 7.5 tonnes are not allowed, unless signs indicate otherwise,
– national road N205 (Mont-Blanc Tunnel) – a ban on vehicles carrying hazardous materials, vehicles with a GVW over 3.5 vehicles and a height exceeding 4.7 m, and cars meeting Euro 0 emission standards,
– the A43 motorway, the Fréjus tunnel – a ban on vehicles carrying Class 1 hazardous materials, vehicles with GVW over 3.5 t, vehicles with a height exceeding 4.3 m, and cars that meet Euro 0 emission standards,
– A47 motorway – no traffic on the section connecting A47 (westbound) and A7 towards the center of Lyon (Ternay intersection),
– national road N7 – traffic ban for vehicles with GVW over 6 tonnes, between 22 and 6,
– national road N7 in Tain l’Hermitage – no traffic above 3.5 t southbound between Vienne and the Roussillon toll station,
– national road N85 Laffrey – traffic ban for vehicles with GVW over 7.5 t,
– Lyon’s northern beltway – a ban on vehicles exceeding 3.5 m in height, as well as trucks over 19 tons and vehicles carrying hazardous materials,
– Fourvière tunnel – a ban on vehicles exceeding 4.3 m in height, with GVW above 7.5 t, and for trucks transporting hazardous materials.