Late on Sunday evening, officers from Mannheim’s traffic police department came across “a particularly serious breach” of driver’s hours regulations during one of its regular HGV checks.
Indeed, in one case, the trucker was found to have been on the road for over 24 hours with just 90 minutes worth of rest.
In a statement, the police explained that the truck driver had severely violated the driving and rest times over the last 29 days.
The following violations were found during the check:
- Multiple continuous driving times of more than 20 hours
- A recorded driving time of 24 hours and 25 minutes
- Last weekly rest period (i.e. a normal weekend rest) was 25 days before the check
- Daily rest periods that were reduced from 11 hours to just 90 minutes
- Extension of the allocated 90 hours of driving time to over 130 hours
The driver was banned from continuing his journey, while a fine of €10.000 was also issued. The driver is responsible for paying 20%, with his employer obliged to pay the rest.
Photo credit: Polizei Mannheim