Photo credits @ Waberersofficional

Waberer’s acquires majority stake in Serbian distributor MD International

Hungarian logistics company Waberer's Group has completed its acquisition of a majority stake in MD International (MDI), a key player in the Serbian distribution market.

You can read this article in 2 minutes

The acquisition, announced in October 2023, sees Waberer’s acquire 55% of MDI, with an option to purchase the remaining 45% stake in the future.

MDI, founded in 1997, focuses on domestic distribution, road transport, and warehousing within Serbia. The company boasts long-term partnerships with multinational and local FMCG (Fast-Moving Consumer Goods) companies and strategically located land for future warehouse development.

MDI employs nearly 300 people and operates logistics centres in Belgrade, Niš, Novi Sad, and Čačak, offering a total of nearly 10,000 square meters of warehouse space. According to preliminary data, MDI generated €55 million in revenue, €2 million in EBIT (earnings before interest and taxes), and €1.8 million in profit after tax in 2023.

The agreement includes collaboration between Waberer’s and MDI’s minority owners on further investments. This includes developing a new 20,000-25,000 square meter warehouse on MDI-owned land near Belgrade. Waberer’s plans to invest capital corresponding to a 55% ownership share in the venture upon receiving building permits.

Waberer’s CEO, Zsolt Barna, emphasised that the acquisition aligns with the company’s strategy of achieving growth through organic development, investment, and acquisitions. This marks Waberer’s second major acquisition following the purchase of the Hungarian railway logistics leader PSP Group.

Waberer’s ultimate goal is to become the leading complex logistics service provider in Eastern Europe by 2027. The company is exploring further regional acquisitions to achieve this goal while prioritizing sustainability by increasing the use of rail and intermodal transport alongside green investments and energy efficiency initiatives.